Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sundays w/Santa's Little Helpers: Christmas Budget/List

Let me ask you something. Are you one of the 4 AM shoppers on Black Friday? Or are you snug in your bed, nursing a food hangover from Thanksgiving?

I am one of the early shoppers, but not because I am fighting for a flat screen. I enjoy the day after Thanksgiving madness! It puts me in the Christmas spirit and I love the hustle and bustle (and yes, I realize that is putting it mildly).

In preparation for the biggest shopping day of the year, Santa's Helpers are here to provide you with a few tips and tricks of what works for us to keep us on track and on budget during the Christmas season!

I present to you my very technical way of keeping things organized. I introduce to you The Notebook and The Envelope.
This notebook contains ideas for gifts and wish lists, as well as what I have already purchased along with a running tally of cost in order to stay within budget. As I come across items or ideas of the perfect gift for a family member, I jot it down and can use The Notebook as a reference while I am out shopping!



The envelope holds all receipts, which are labeled with the names of people whom the gifts are for. I actually have TWO envelopes, one which is kept in my purse and one at home. As I make purchases, I put the receipts in the purse envelope to be transfered to the one I keep stashed in our bedroom.

Here are the KEY ideas to making holiday shopping as non-stressful as possible:
  • Make a list: Write down everyone you plan on buying for. If it is for a family gift exchange and you haven't chosen the names yet, at least write down something like GE (gift exchange): C. I would know then that we have to buy a gift for the gift exchange for C's family.
  • Make a budget! Are you spending a certain amount per person? Or do you have a set limit to divide between everyone?
  • Keep a running tally of how much you spend! This way, you will know when you are nearing the end of your set budget! This becomes helpful with kids and spouses.
  • Have ideas ready! This makes shopping so much easier than wandering around the stores searching for something that suits the gift receiver.
  • Stick to the budget! You created it for a reason!
  • Maintain a positive attitude while shopping. The holidays can be stressful and everyone feels it. Try to go shopping on a day when you are not stressed out over other things or when you are not in a hurry. And enjoy the time you spend purchasing gifts for people. Don't be a Grinch as you head to the mall this holiday season!
How do you plan your holiday shopping? Here is your challenge for the week: Create your LIST, BUDGET, and HOW MUCH YOU PLAN ON SPENDING PER PERSON! Or...do you have other great tips to share with us? Leave us a comment to share your ideas and let us know when you completed the challenge! Be sure to visit my other Santa's Helpers at My Happy House and The Working Woman's Guide to Domestic Success for other holiday shopping tips!

2 comments:

Tonya said...

I just happened to stumbled upon your blog and goota stop to say that is so cute!! I love your background and all the holiday decorations and food. Blessings to ya!

Tonya said...

That is supposed to say "gotta". Perhaps I should have said "had to stop and say". Nonetheless, your blog is really cute!