Monday, October 19, 2009

Menu Plan Monday and How I Menu Plan


I have been trying different ways to grocery shop in an attempt to save money. Normally, I shop at Marc's for most of my items and then go to Giant Eagle for anything I am unable to find at Marc's, For two weeks I tried to shop just at Giant Eagle, since the people at Marc's drive me nuts. I ended up spending an additional $50-$100, so went back to my original way of shopping. Oddly enough, I grocery shop every other week, on payday weeks, instead of once a week. If I need something odd that I forgot or some fresh veggies or fruit, I will make a quick run to the store. But shopping once a week was just not for me. I felt as if I was always at the store and I hated it. So, I am back to shopping every two weeks.

When I menu plan, I use this template from Org Junkie. I find that it works best for me. Usually I write my menu on the back and can reference it while shopping if I need to. I decide on what I am going to be making and then night by night, go through the fridge, freezer and cupboards to see what I have and what I need based on the meals planned. Then, I can fill in the boxes as I go along with what I need to purchase!

I have to say, I am excited about this week's (and next's) menus! Here it goes!

Sunday: Grandma's Homemade Vegetable Beef soup with ancini di pepi.
Monday: Beef stroganoff
Tuesday: Leftover soup
Wednesday: Crockpot pork tenderloin with apples, toasted pine nut cous cous, green beans
Thursday: Sloppy joes and french fries
Friday: Fall party, so will not be home
Saturday: No kids, so not sure!
Sunday: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans

Visit Org Junkie's site for tons more menu ideas!


2 comments:

Jessica said...

good idea Gia!

Erin said...

I say skip the dinner on saturday and open a bottle of wine ;) take full advantage of the no kids night. ps... I'm totally going to hire you to menu plan for me. We're in such a rut and I'm so tired of eating the same things all the time!