My entryway table
First, I was able to prepare almost all of my appetizers, or at least part of them, the night before. My menu changed slightly, but here is what we ended up with:
- Bacon cheese dip served with crackers
- Crudite with ranch dip
- Sausage cups
- Cucumber pumpernickle squares
- Tomato bruschetta (which I could have left out)
- Mini twice-baked potatoes
My goal was to have everything out by the time guests arrived, but since EVERYONE seemed to arrive exactly at 7 (which NEVER happens), a few things were late getting out. So, I have learned that I need to have everything out and ready to go 10 minutes before the scheduled arrive time! It was no biggie. People were getting their cookies set up and were chatting with one another. Here is a shot of my living room, waiting for guests to arrive:
And speaking of tables...check out our table PACKED with platters! If ONLY my new table would have arrived, but alas, it has not been delivered yet.
Anyway, I had appetizers set up on the buffet, with the crudite platter and bruschetta in the living room on the coffee table, and drinks (sodas, coffee, and wine) were in the kitchen. I had a smaller table set up for the samplers of the cookies and people just kind of hung out and wandered around and mingled. 
After everyone was settled in and had a chance to get some appetizers and sample the cookies, we did a secret ballot for best cookie. I had made up a prize for the winner, which included a gingerbread man potholder and spatula, as well as snowmen measuring spoons, a set of cookie cutters and two Christmas cupcake liner packages in a cute basket, and was very excited to award it to my friend Angela for her White Chocolate Cherry Chip cookies!! She won by a landslide!
I had purchased 10x10 cardboard pie boxes for everyone, and after I distributed them, everyone went around the table taking about 4 of each kind of cookie, then we had so many that some of my guests were able to fill up a second box!
Overall, it was a very successful night. I did not make too much food, and everyone seemed to enjoy how the cookies were set up, so I think I am going to keep this system. I am very much looking forward to hosting another exchange next Christmas season!!





No comments:
Post a Comment