Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Brunch: The Morning Of!


Let me give you a rundown on the last few days, because I have literally been baking and cooking non-stop.

Friday: Arrived home from work. Made 3 types of biscotti, gingerbread cookies, do-do's, and white chocolate cherry shortbreads. Realized the wonder that is my convection oven. Wrapped the rest of the girls' Christmas presents. In bed at 2 AM.

Saturday: Table delivery day! Up at 7:45 to wait for them. Made dough for Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls, which I then cut and put in to eight pans. Decorated snowflakes with royal icing. Showered. Grocery store to pick up perishables for salad and other odds and ends for Sunday. Ate Subway. Took a short nap because I was getting a migraine. Went to a lame Christmas party where the hosts did not have enough food. We left early and REALLY irritated about it. Came home from said party, set tables (had to wait, because the kids needed a place to eat dinner!) and rearranged furniture in living room (you will see what I mean when I post pictures tomorrow!). Made breakfast casseroles and went to bed!

So what is the tip and/or trick, you may ask?? I created a timeline for myself for Sunday morning, so I knew what had to go in the oven and when. It looked a little something like this:
  • Up at 8 AM
  • 9 AM: Shower and dress
  • 9:30: Cut apples, pears and cheese for salad
  • 10 AM: Make frosting for cinnamon rolls
  • 10:15: Start coffee
  • 10:30: Preheat oven, take out cinnamon rolls to rise
  • 10:45: Orange juice out, champagne opened
  • 11:00: Breakfast casseroles in oven
  • 11:45: Casseroles out and in warming drawer; cinnamon rolls in
  • Noon: Salad mixed and tossed
  • 12:15: Rest of sides on table, breakfast casseroles cut
  • Eating by 12:30
Be sure that if you are hosting an event that requires extended times for things to bake, that you are able to create a schedule where things are ready to eat at the same time. I was able to use my warming drawer for the first time and it was a LIFESAVER! Any other great tips or tricks for hosting a holiday brunch? Share them with us!

No comments: