
We have sent the invitations and created our menu. Now it is time to make our shopping list, check it twice, and prepare the house for the party by settling on some decor and cleaning!
In order to simplify the next few days, I will be doing a thorough cleaning of the house during the week and doing only the necessary touch-ups on Saturday morning.
Three-Four Days Before Exchange:
- Bake cookies and store in an airtight container
- Make sure your house is Christmas-y and festive by making sure your Christmas decorations are up.
- Gather table linens and serving pieces that you will need. I instructed everyone to bring their cookies arranged on a platter for the exchange, but I also had everyone bring an additional dozen to share, so I plan on having a few platters ready to go in case someone did not tray up their cookies. I have several serving platters as well as a few metal Christmas trays that I use when I make my Christmas cookies! And, don't forget to pull out your cake stands; using different heights on your table adds drama to your buffet.
- Make ahead any appetizers that will freeze or store well: Unfortunately, none of my apps fall into this category, so the earliest I will be making anything ahead of time is a day or two.
- Create your day-of timeline, as well as lists of any last minute cleaning that needs to be done. Be sure to schedule in time to run to the grocery in the morning for perishables if needed; I will need a fresh baguette and vegetables, so I will be making a quick run first thing in the morning.
- Prepare centerpiece/table decorations.
- Set your appetizer buffet and cookie table. For the cookie table, make sure that more than one person can get to it at a time!
- Arrange furniture and pull out additional chairs if needed.
- Prepare the rest of your appetizers that can be made ahead.
- Buy perishable items at store
- IF you have done your major cleaning, wipe down bathrooms (including the toilets) and prepare the bathroom for guests. Run the vacuum and dust, and make sure your kitchen is clean.
- Put out appetizers, start the Christmas music softly, light the candles, brew the coffee!
- Enjoy the time with your friends and family!
Are you hosting a cookie exchange this year? Remember, Sundays with Santa's Helpers have challenged you to host some sort of gathering, so I hope you are planning away and preparing your details!





No comments:
Post a Comment