
I have read all of the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. I adored them. I waited every year for Christmas and would get the newest release. When she closed the tale of our beloved "Brat Prince" vampire Lestat with Blackwood Farm in 2004, I was devastated. There would be no more tales of Lestat. It left an emptiness inside of me. This hole became even greater when the suckiest movie ever made was released, called Queen of the Damned. I literally waited for years for this stupid movie to come out and it was a travesty. If Anne Rice was not appalled by what they did to her amazing novel, something is wrong with her.
I found this same type of love with the Harry Potter books. When that series ended, I was once again saddened (not to mention I cried for basically the entire book) and felt empty.
Along came Twilight by Stephanie Meyers.
My students had been seen toting around her books for a few years and I had to give in to the temptation. It was a story about vampires combined with the same teen angst I see daily as a high school teacher. Little did I know I would eat the books up and fall in love.
Tonight I went to see the movie. It was decent; definitely not my favorite. Kind of like the Harry Potter movies, it will hopefully get better as they go along. I adored Robert Pattinson. His longing for Bella and inner turmoil was delicious. Kristen Stewart was decent as klutzy Bella, but I think the character could have been played better by a different young actress. Overall, I enjoyed the movie, and was glad we waited until today to go, as the theatre was basically empty. The last thing I wanted to deal with was screaming teenagers (like we did during Baz Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet, when Leonardo DiCaprio walked onto the screen for the first time.). It is obvious they have plans to make the rest of the books into movies, and I hope the next two are better (I HATED the fourth book with a passion, so it has nowhere to go but up). I could definitely go see it again though...any chance to stare at yummy Edward once again.
Tonight I went to see the movie. It was decent; definitely not my favorite. Kind of like the Harry Potter movies, it will hopefully get better as they go along. I adored Robert Pattinson. His longing for Bella and inner turmoil was delicious. Kristen Stewart was decent as klutzy Bella, but I think the character could have been played better by a different young actress. Overall, I enjoyed the movie, and was glad we waited until today to go, as the theatre was basically empty. The last thing I wanted to deal with was screaming teenagers (like we did during Baz Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet, when Leonardo DiCaprio walked onto the screen for the first time.). It is obvious they have plans to make the rest of the books into movies, and I hope the next two are better (I HATED the fourth book with a passion, so it has nowhere to go but up). I could definitely go see it again though...any chance to stare at yummy Edward once again.





No comments:
Post a Comment