Saturday, January 19, 2013

CSA Winter Week 7

According to Trevor, the awesome guy who runs our CSA through Fresh Fork Market, this week is a turning point in the winter CSA.  We have pretty much run out of field crops so we will start getting more frozen items, meat, cheeses, and pantry staples.  I am okay with that because I have a really hard time using our greens up and we are all over the kale!!  Although Daphne Oz just did what looked like a yummy lentil soup on The Chew with kale and I wanted to try it.


Winter Week 7: 
1 pack pork loin chops, boneless 2 count (I bought a second so we will have pork chops this week)
1 lb grassfed ground beef (Philly Cheesesteak  Sloppy Joe's, here we come)
1 dozen eggs
1 stalk brussels sprouts (will use these as a side dish 
1 head napa cabbage (I am thinking a Thai Chicken salad; Napa cabbage is so expensive, so this is great)
1 lb carrots (going to make soup on Sunday)
1 bag mustard greens (the bain of my existence)(and I think we got kale anyway!)
1 bunch green onions (the deer ate the green onions, so we got beans instead.  I think it is time to use my ham hock for some ham and  bean soup)
2 lbs cornmeal (will probably make chili and cornbread this weekend)
3 lbs yukon gold potatoes (potato and leek soup, I think!)
2 acorn squash (now I have four to use up!)
1 quarter peck apples, melrose (red) and granny smith (yellow/green)
1 bag mixed salad greens (I never know what to do with these.  They are kind of bitter, but I will toss them into a salad)

This is a nice week because there is not a TON of greens, but I will be able to use the kale in either a chip form or in that soup.  And we signed up for the LARGE Summer CSA so, between our expanded garden (more on that soon!) we really won't be needing to purchase much produce!  
  


No comments: