Friday, December 23, 2011

Let's talk salt-dough.

As in ornaments.  As in, "Let's make hand print ornaments of Logan's hand so we can give them to all of his aunts and uncles for Christmas!  SUCH a cute idea!"

Um, yeah.

This kid wanted nothing to do with me taking his hand print.  Honestly, I have no idea how moms have luck with this because my kid just wants to grab and squish the dough.  I even asked my bloggy friend Molly how she got Cam's to look perfect!!  She said she delegated the responsibility, lol.

I started out making the dough too thick because I wanted to get a good impression of the hand.  After it was baked, it looked terrible.  I painted them anyway and then tossed them.

I got three good ones and I am going to attempt another batch this afternoon in hopes that I can get enough for all of his aunts and uncles.

Here is the little man's print on our tree :)

Here is the recipe I followed.  Basically it is a 2:1 ratio of flour and salt/water.

Salt Dough Ornaments
2 C flour
1 C salt
1 C warm water

Mix it up.  Roll it out.  Cut into shapes (attempt the hand print if you are brave) and bake at 200 degrees for 4 hours.  Let cool and harden for a few hours.  Paint, glitter, whatever.  And good luck to you, my friends.

1 comment:

Karen At Home Blog said...

Such a great idea Gia!!! I am going to "pin" this one for future reference!!! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!