Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Blessed

On Monday, we received some very sad news.  A teacher who used to work with us and was transferred to another local HS (but still in our district) lost his wife to a complication from breast cancer.  It was very sudden.  She was in remission, it had come back, and she had just been given the all-clear to stop chemo again and she and her family (three girls in their mid to late teens) all thought she was just fine.

He received a call at work on Friday.

Her liver had shut down and she was gone.

She was 48.

My grandmother was 47 when she died from breast cancer.  My dad was the oldest and was 17.  His youngest sister was 14.

Today, leaving her wake, I was so incredibly overcome with sadness.  I wanted nothing more than to hug my baby boy and my girls and my husband and keep them close.  We never know what life will throw at us and I think this was my reality check.  I spend so much time worrying about WHAT COULD BE and that I don't spend enough time with my family and I feel pulled in a thousand different directions and instead of enjoying what direction I am being pulled in, I stress out about everything.

I need a new perspective. 

I love my life. I love my family.  I love my job.  We are happy and healthy and  have a home we love (except the damn drain flies...tips anyone?  We can't locate the source and have had a plumber out).

I am blessed.

No comments: