Monday, February 22, 2010

Lenten Favorite:Mac and Cheese!

I am not one to eat Velveeta.  It kind of scares me, to be honest.  And I have never been keen on what I have always thought to be a plastic-processed taste.  I searched long and hard for a recipe, tried a few and never really liked them.  A good friend of mine SWEARS by this recipe (wherever she found it) and I decided to give it a whirl.  I lowered the fat content by using skim milk and 2% cheese.  

And you know what?  She was right.  It is a great, simple recipe and perfect for Fridays during Lent.  Although this was a great recipe, my search for the "perfect" mac and cheese continues!

Oh, and sorry the picture sucks.  It is really hard to get a good picture of mac and cheese!
Simple Mac and Cheese
Ingredients
2 C macaroni
3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
2 C milk
1/4 C onion, chopped (I omitted)
8 oz cubed Velveeta

Directions
-Preheat oven to 350.
-Cook macaroni according to directions.  When drained, put macaroni into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
-Melt butter.  Add flour, salt, pepper and stir.  Add milk, stirring occasionally, until bubbly.
-Add onion and Velveeta, stirring until cheese is melted.  Pour over macaroni.
-Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and spray with Pam.  Bake for 35-40 minutes, until bubbly and top is browned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lenten fave in this house too! yum!

Catherine said...

I too do not care for Velveeta and have never made a mac and cheese with it. Have you tried Rachel Ray's recipe? Hers is pretty basic and always comes out delicious. I also just tried Annie's Eats spicy mac and cheese and really loved it.

Gia said...

Starbuck1123, I will give them both a whirl! I think that I am going to try several recipes over the next few weeks!