Saturday, February 27, 2010

Butternut Squash Orzo

Lately I have felt as if we are in a food rut.  Especially veggies.  The girls and C are always willing to try new things, so I picked up a package of butternut squash from Trader Joe's last weekend.  And since I was home unexpectedly on Friday, I decided to try my hand at using it for lunch!

The first thing I will say is that roasted butternut squash is amazing.  It was crispy and sweet and just delicious.  I am hoping that if I make it this way for the family, they will like it as much as I did!  The pasta was creamy and a really nice lunch, which I almost didn't expect.  I was going to add peas but didn't have any in the freezer.  Perhaps next time!

Butternut Squash Orzo
Ingredients
3 C chicken broth
1 C orzo pasta
1 package pealed and cubed butternut squash
2 tbsp half and half
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
pinch of nutmeg

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 400.  Scatter squash on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and roast for 20-25 minutes.
-While squash is roasting, boil the chicken broth and cook pasta until al dente.  Drain when done.
-To orzo, add roasted squash, cheese, half and half, and nutmeg.  Stir until ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.  Serve immediately.

No comments: