Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Winter CSA Week 9

Another winter bag.  And another conundrum.  I feel like these winter bags really test my creative abilities.  But I will tell you something.  I can't wait for the summer session to start because my grocery bill is creeping up again and I do not like that.  Not one bit.  I think the fact that we are all stuck in the house and bored that the kids are eating me out of house and home!

Here is the bag for the week:
  • 1 whole chicken
  • 3 lb rutabagas
  • 3 lb Yukon Gold potatoes (will eat with meatloaf)
  • 1 lb carrots (going to use some for stock and some to roast)
  • 0.5 lb dragon tongue beans (will save for more soup probably)
  • 2 bulbs kohlrabi (little guys!)
  • 1/2 lb honey puffed spelt and corn (cereal...tastes like Honey Smacks!)
  • 1 lb beets (will give to my friend because we just can't get on the beet wagon)
  • 1 quart frozen cauliflower
  • 1 pint frozen peas
  • 1 winter squash (we did not get...got more corn instead!  YUM!)
  • 1 dozen eggs (this wasn't on our original list...so maybe a bonus?? or a substitution I am missing)
I have a tough time with these winter root veggies, and really don't know what the hell to do with the rutabagas.  I think I will bring the kohlrabi for a snack in my lunch and just eat it raw, unless I can find a salad to put it in with. I am going to make the chicken in the crock pot and use the breasts for enchiladas and then make stock the next day.  

Anyone have suggestions for rutabagas or kohlrabi??

No comments: