Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday Budgeting

As everyone knows, Christmas shopping can get crazy and out of hand.  Your budget can quickly go out the window and before you know it, credit cards are maxed out and you are broke.

Like many Americans, on Black Friday, I love to go shopping.  I am not one of the crazies that is standing in line for some big flat-screen TV or other electronic item.  Oh no.  I am a different type of crazy.  I am the crazy that goes out WITH NO PURPOSE other than to SHOP and HAVE FUN!  Because, believe it or not, I love Black Friday shopping.  For the last five or so years, my cousin, mom and I have headed out to shop til we drop.  Which means pass out from exhaustion.

I have previously written about my Christmas envelope and notebook.  And I still use the same system. Each year gets a notebook and an envelope.  Receipts go in the envelope and my list of purchases and ideas goes in the notebook, which I later put into a spreadsheet to track my spending for the season.

This year, to stay on budget for Black Friday shopping, I am purchasing giftcards! 
Our grocery store offers fuel perks for every $50 you spend in giftcards, so this will help me save money in two ways: 1) I only have so much to spend at a store and 2) I will save money on gas!  For instance, I know we are going to Kohl's on Friday, so I bought a $100 gift card and that is my limit for the store.  On Saturday, my friend and I are going shopping as well, and I purchased a gift card for Barnes and Noble as well as the Cheesecake Factory, where I know we are going to eat!

So remember, when doing your Christmas Shopping:
  • Create a budget
  • Make a list of people you have to buy for and gift ideas
  • Keep track of spending!
Have fun and HAPPY SHOPPING!

No comments: