Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chicken Pesto Stuffed Shells

I have been on a quest for freezer-friendly meals and things I can prepare ahead of time. As a working mom, it is imperative that I have some time to spend with Logan and the girls in the evening. And the more I can prep on the weekend, the less I will lose my mind on weeknights! Joelen's blog is one of my new go-to places for freezer meals and this is definitely one I will be making again! I added some ricotta because I wanted something creamier and next time I may try a sauce with it because I felt it needed just a leeeetle something else. But everyone else in my household loved them!

Chicken Pesto Stuffed Shells
adapted from What's Cookin', Chicago?

Ingredients
12-16 jumbo pasta shells
water for boiling pasta
4oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 C low-fat ricotta
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese + 1/4 cup for topping
1 1/2-2 C mozzarella
3 tablespoons prepared pesto (homemade or store bought)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used the breasts from a rotisserie chicken! Shortcut!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. In a large pot over high heat, boil water and prepare pasta shells as directed on package. Cook pasta shells only until al dente. The pasta will finish cooking when the dish is baked. Drain the pasta shells and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients, except the 1/4 cup of cheese for the topping. Fill the pasta shells with the filling and place in a baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and the mozzarella over filled shells.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake shells uncovered for 30 minutes or until shells are bubbling hot and cheese melts.
4. To freeze: Prepare shells as directed and cover with cheese. Store in a tightly sealed baking dish. To serve, defrost and bake as directed.

1 comment:

Christina @ Still Lucky said...

These sound really good. I like Joelen's blog too. She has great ideas. :)