We invited over 100 people. At the beginning of the week, I thought I was going to lose my mind. I asked my mom and husband where in the hell they were to reel me in on this one. I needed a good slap and someone to tell me to wait until August or something.
Our bathroom off of the family room had not even been TOUCHED, let alone was company-ready.
We finished at 1 AM Saturday night with the party beginning at 2 PM on Sunday. I was a whirling-dervish, as were C and the kids, but everything came together. In retrospect, and based on the advice of my parents (who throw several large parties a year), here are the things I would do differently, or will do differently the next time we throw a party:
1. Start no new projects five days before the party. You can complete already in-progress things, but start NOTHING new. This advice came from my parents who have thrown three graduation parties, given two weddings, and every year throw a huge picnic for the Fourth of July. Not to mention they host Thanksgiving every year. This was their biggest piece of advice in regards to party planning.
2. Make more cheesy potatoes. 2 pans were not enough. I sent my brother to the store for more cornflakes as a back-up, but by that time, most people had eaten.
3. People apparently like cake. So I need to make more. Because the chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting was gone in about three minutes.
4. Have more garbage cans set up. Because we didn't even think about this, and we were scrambling.
5. Take more time to sit back and talk to your guests.





1 comment:
good to know.. thanks for the advice!
Post a Comment