Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pasta Primavera

I had quite a few veggies leftover from our crudite platter on Easter and I was looking for a way to use them up when I stumbled across this recipe in Family Circle magazine (yes, apparently I am a 50-year old woman) and it just sounded delicious! I added more cheese to the half-and-half mixture because I didn't feel it was thick enough and also added sauteed baby bella mushrooms to my dish (C loathes mushies). When it says six servings, they aren't lying; we had a TON of leftovers (seems I forgot I was only feeding two people as opposed to our usual four). This was fresh and the perfect spring pasta dish.
Pasta Primavera
adapted from Family Circle magazine
serves 6

Ingredients
1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 sweet orange peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/4 inch strips (I used red because i had it)
1 pound spaghetti
3/4 C half and half
3/4 C chicken broth
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp olive oil
5 cloves garlic, sliced
2 C grape tomatoes, halved
2/3 C grated Parmesan
1/4 C flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Shaved Parmesan, optional

Directions
-Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and green beans; cook for 4 minutes. Add peppers; cook for 1 more minute. Scoop out vegetables with a large slotted spoon and place in a colander. Rinse under cold water.
-Add pasta to boiling water and cook following package directions, about 9 minutes. Drain; return to pot.
-While pasta is cooking, place half-and-half, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a small saucepan, Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
-Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add olive oil and garlic and cook 30 seconds Add cooked vegetables and tomatoes. Cook, stirring a few times about 2 minutes. Spoon into pasta pot. Stir grated cheese into half-and-half mixture. Add to pasta and gently stir in parsely until all ingredients are combined. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Shave Parmesan on top, if desired.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I love that this is infused with veggies! What a gorgeously colorful dish.